If you’re one for making lists, your Christmas Cake should be near the top this week.
A rich, moist Christmas cake needs a little time, but don’t be put off. Your efforts will be well rewarded. Our favourite gluten free Christmas cake recipe – inspired by our Baker’s Gift Box – is filled with wonderful berry, citrus and mixed spice flavours. Between now and Christmas, these will fuse together to create an unmistakeable deep, rich Christmas treat.
No one will guess it is gluten free.
Free with brandy or sherry to keep moist, if you like, but this step is not essential.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 125g butter
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsps brandy or fruit juice
- 1 lemon rind and juice
- 150 g Dove Farm gluten free plain flour
- 400 g mixed dried fruits
- 100 g glacé cherries
- 100 g mixed peel
- 100 g almonds
- 3 tbsps apricot jam
- 200 g marzipan
- 2 egg whites
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 Ribbon (optional!)
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, mixed spice, brandy, lemon rind and juice.
- Mix the flour.
- Stir in the mixed dried fruits, glace cherries, mixed peel and almonds.
- Push the mixture into a deep greaseproof lined 20cm/8″cake tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 2/2¼ hours.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 12 hours.
- To make the topping, warm the apricot jam and spread it over the cold cake.
- Roll out the marzipan and lift it onto the cake.
- Press the marzipan around the cake and trim off any excess.
- In a bowl beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Beat in the oil and icing sugar a little at a time.
- Spread the icing over the cake.
- Decorate with a ribbon.
Temperature & cooking time:
150°C/Fan130°C/300°F/Gas Mk 2
Without Gluten , Without Soya, Without Wheat.
Please note: Dietary status is a guideline only. If you have a food allergy, please check the suitability of your ingredients.
Let us know how you get on.