Perfect as a treat at elevenses (of if you’re like us, any time of day), these gluten free oat and coconut biscuits are delicious. They have a crisp buttery texture which simply melts in your mouth.
Please bear in mind that not all people with gluten or wheat intolerance can eat oats, but gluten free oats, like the ones we include in our gift hampers should always be used.
Makes 24 cookies
3 generous tablespoons of golden syrup
170g/1 cup of gluten free porridge/rolled oats
85g/ 1 generous cup of soft shredded coconut
60g/ 1 scant cup flaked coconut
115g/ ½ cup, plus a tablespoon of caster sugar
115g gluten free all-purpose baking flour plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of xanthum gum.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC (350degF) Gas 4
- Put the butter and syrup in a small saucepan and melt over gentle heat. Put the oats, both coconuts, sugar and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Pour over the melted butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon until everything is stirred in
- Put 24 tablespoonfuls of the mixture on prepared baking sheets, a distance apart as they will spread during baking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cookies are golden brown, remove from the oven and leave to cool on a baking tray.
- Eat with your favourite beverage.
These biscuits will keep for up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container.
You can see our complete range of gluten free baking hampers here.
With thanks to Hannah Miles The Gluten Free Baker